Friday 27 February 2015

Poo Water Season

Oh my gosh, it's Spring! And not fake Spring like we had last year where it snowed out of the blue at the end of March, but like, real Spring! 

Want to know how I know its not fake spring?! Because we had our first lamby this morning! I mean, he was a completely unexpected surprise (not entirely sure how that happened), but isn't he SO cute!

I think I'll name him Keener
As the lambs get a little bigger, they get a little more exploratory, and since they are small enough to slip through the fence, they actually end up being a super annoyance. Eating our garden, our lawn, tempting the dogs... I remember last year, I was cursing their fluffy little bastard tails, but for right now, they are just so adorable, you forget how much your going to hate them in a few months! 

Over the last several weeks our world has been melting away. It has gotten pretty disgusting outside lately. I have decided to call this season "Poo Water Season" because, well.... It's pretty self explanatory. There was a lake that melted off of the cow field right outside our house, so naturally the kids busted out the kayaks, and have been paddling around for days. "Watch out for the cow patties children!".

The puddle actually caused a bit of a minor scare. It got so deep and big that it was threatening to seep into our garage. So Partner #2 spent an afternoon having way to much fun diverting the water into a man-made creek (I say creek not stream!) all the way around our house down through the sheep pen and all the way to the river. Obviously, you haven't the faintest clue how far that is for us, but it was a seriously impressive amount of poo water!

You want to know what Poo Water Season means for us moms? Double laundry duty. It has become a routine now that the kids have to strip off their poo water soaked pants as well as all their outside gear and throw them all straight in to the washing machine, conveniently located just beside the mudroom. The basement now has a perpetual aroma. Musk might be a better descriptive. It doesn't help that (somehow) 4 dogs reside in our mud room regularly now. They enjoy poo water season just as much as the children....

Now, at least, the sun has been shining for weeks, so not only is the snow melting the poo water lakes are also drying up. And there's grass!  Mind you, it's brown grass, but its not snow! However, with the melting snow the 'evidence' of 13 dogs becomes apparent /gag.  We are going to have lots of yard clean up to do this spring. Luckily we have an army of children! Who are always keen to make a buck!

I think spring is my favorite time of the year lol.

Also, our breeding pair of eagles is back! If you didn't see any pictures from last year, we have a big ole' eagles nest about halfway down our driveway and we get the same (I am assuming) pair of eagles who come back every year to make our lives a little more exciting! The baby they raised last year stuck around for quite a while after he was kicked out of the nest.

Here's a picture of those love birds <3


 So lambs shouldn't be starting till late next month. Same with the calves. I can't wait for them to start! They are so freaking adorable! I am sure there will be a million pictures of them in the next few months. Maybe I will just do an all-about-babies post? All pictures. Cuteness speaks louder than words.

                                      

Also, we had a couple swans land in the field the other day. I don't know that that is indicative of spring, but it was sure pretty. 



Just plain loving life right now. Problem is I told myself once spring starts I would start running again.... Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment