Monday 4 May 2015

An Atheist at a Christian Conference

As some of you know, (unless this is your first time here, in which case welcome!) we home school our kids.  If your thinking to yourselves "Why ever would you do that!?" check out my past post Home schoolers? What are ya, Hippies?

So this last week, we packed up our gongshow and headed down to the Okanagan for the Christian Home Educators Conference (CHEC). No, we are not religious.  Until this last year, there was a huge homeschooling conference down in the lower mainland but due to some lack of interest from vendors and volunteer shortage, they didn't put one on this year, which was a real shame.  So that left us with the only other option in BC, which just so happened to take us to my old hood! Ya win some, you lose some, I guess.

Just a little history on myself, I have extensive experience with organized religion that has caused me to very strongly believe that it is not for me, at all, not even a little bit.  In fact, I have a very healthy critique of the whole institution in general.  However, not all my experience was negative, I met and have remained friends with some really remarkable and good people. Because of this history I found it incredibly difficult to remain objective during this whole conference, and I had to walk out of one seminar because of how wildly offensive it was, but I did manage to glean some wisdom in the end and actually found myself enjoying the keynote speakers.

We went down a day early and stayed with some family in Merritt who very kindly agreed to take 3 out of 4 of our kids for the weekend! Coincidentally, it was my Grandmother and Uncle's birthday that weekend, so I happened to have a lot of family out that weekend and my lovely cousin offered to take Isabella for the weekend too! Woo hoo! A weekend free of children?! For 2 whole days?! And it isn't even Christmas yet!

Despite being a vacation of sorts the whole weekend was a complete whirlwind of conference, seminars, and more then a few "Did he really just say that?!".  Followed by late nights catching up with old friends and family, and really early mornings making sure we took full advantage of the continental breakfast at the hotel.

To finish off our time in Kelowna, Partner #2 and I went to my family's house to celebrate my grandmother and uncle's  birthdays! It was the first time many of my family had met Partner #2 so that was .... nerve wracking. But I think things went well. My beautiful cousin was trying out for the Canadian paralympic sitting volleyball team so several of us went out before dinner to help her practice. (Since that night, I might add, she went to her auditions in Montreal and totally made it on the team! Brazil 2016! Congrats Tessa!)

We spent the next 2 days in Merritt recovering and visiting. I think I spent the majority of the time sleeping as much as I could. And then it was back home, back to reality. Back to milk cows, and chickens, and not-started gardens, and school, and for me more job searching...

Another little side story, on our way out of Merritt, we stopped at this really great little coffee shop/bakery called Brambles (I recommend it. If you do go, get a morning glory scone. Soooo good) and while we were there the lady behind the counter said she reads my blog! It was possibly one of the most flattering moments of my life! I couldn't believe that someone recognized me! And in typical Natalie fashion, I made a complete ass of myself, told her I was starstruck but starstruck for me... It doesn't even make any sense! I am groaning internally.

Anyways, this lovely lady at Brambles (Whose name I've since learned is Katie, because while making an ass out of myself I completely forgot to ask her name :/  Hi Katie!) she recommended another blogger who is utterly awesome and I endorse her completely. Her site is called Renegade Mothering and she is fantastic, witty, cynical, hilarious, sarcastic, and best of all r-e-a-l! If you are like me and you gag at all those "Children are the most wonderful blessing" posts, your love Renegade Mothering.

One more little update, our 1st milk cow Beullah had her calf on Saturday! A sturdy little heifer calf. I was thinking, since we have yet to name her, perhaps I should open up the comments section on this blog for name suggestions! Here's a picture to help you come up with some ideas :)




2 comments: