Saturday 14 March 2015

The Definition of Cabin Fever

I had a good friend suggest that I elaborate on the definition of "Cabin Fever" as I seem to use it fairly often.

"Cabin fever is an idiomatic term, first recorded in 1838, for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in a small space, with nothing to do for an extended period. Cabin fever describes the extreme irritability and restlessness a person may feel in these situations
A person may experience cabin fever in a situation such as being in a simple country vacation cottage. When experiencing cabin fever, a person may tend to sleep, have distrust of anyone they are with, and an urge to go outside even in the rainsnowdark or hail. The phrase is also used humorously to indicate simple boredom from being home alone."

Yep, that about sums it up. Other synonymous phrases include climbing the walls, feeling bushed, boredom, the desperate need to see people, get me out of here right now!!, and The Shinning.

Yesterday, for example, while Partner #1 was vacuuming she asked me to help her moved the couch. Which naturally translated into "Lets rearrange the whole living room!". No small undertaking considering our living room is huge and is composed of a t.v area, piano practice room, and children's library.

Just a typical Tuesday afternoon activity, right?

Several hours and multiple arrangements later, we have our living room divided in half by our sectional with the kids library on the back side of the couch and our t.v area separated. Silly me thought that might keep the explosion of kids books that happens every day in a smaller contained area. No, it just means we have to make our way around obstacles now when we clean up.

One time we decided the entire house needed rearranging. I think that endeavor took 2 days. Now the downstairs floor is officially the "Kids Floor" whilst the upstairs is the "Adult Area" and now I have this lovely office to work and write this blog from!

We have also rearranged out mudroom several times, the playroom, Partner #2's office, our bedroom, the garage, etc. I think you are getting the point. We get bored, we rearrange. We also clean a lot.

I have also abandoned ship once and made an Impromptu Edmonton Trip simply because I thought if I didn't get away, I might do something I regret.

What I find for myself with cabin fever, is that things that wouldn't normally bother me if I wasn't so caught up in my minute little world, really really bother me after a week or so at home. That empty box that has been lying in the hallway for 2 days, those empty bags of dog food that pile up, the dirty socks I find everywhere but a laundry basket, all have the potential to throw me into a pent-up-house-wifey rage! If I get to town with some regularity I find that I am able to grasp that there is more out there then my tidy little world. It gives me some perspective.

Usually at least once a week we get into town for the kids lessons. Currently I am in the tail end of my practicum and in a moment of generosity (or temporary insanity), Partner #1 offered to take the kids to town by herself so I could stay home and bank some hours. Very generous. But that means that I wont have gotten into town for 2 weeks before our next town day! Hopefully I can hold it together until then.

The light at the end of the tunnel is the promise of a Mom Day in the future!! (If you want to know what that means, and why I am so excited, find out here MOOOOOM DAAAYYYYY!!!)

This picture really doesn't have anything to do with cabin fever except maybe to display the vast expanse of not a lot on our property? That and the thumbnail when I share this post on Facebook is a giant picture of me and this picture is prettier then that...



No comments:

Post a Comment